Your skin is the largest organ in your body and acts as your first line of defense against dust, dirt, rain, sun, and other natural elements. This is why it’s important to take care of your skin with sunscreen to protect it from UV rays and moisturizer to keep it healthy. Here, our skin care experts have put together 15 amazing facts about your skin that you may not know:
1. The average person’s skin covers an area of 21.5 square feet.
2. Every hair in your skin has its own tiny muscle (called the “pili”) so that it can stand up when you’re cold or in an emotional situation.
3. Around 15% of your body weight is due to your skin.
4. There are 2 types of melanin (the pigment that gives your skin color): Pheomelanin, which is yellow to red in color, and Eumelanin, which is dark brown to black in color.
5. From head to toe, your skin contains about 11 miles of blood vessels.
6. There are up to 300 sweat glands in one square inch of your skin.
7. Every day, you shed millions of dead skin cells. If you added them all up over one year, they would weigh around 9 pounds.
8. Your skin is home to more than 1,000 species of bacteria.
9. The thinnest skin on your body is your eyelids, which are around 0.02mm thick.
10. One in 20 adult women suffer from acne while one in 100 adult men suffer from acne.
11. Your skin acts as a regulator for your body temperature. When you’re hot, your sweat glands activate in order to cool you down; when you’re cold, your hair stands on end to help keep you warm.
12. Your skin has at 4 different kinds of receptors – all of which react differently to touch.
13. A majority of the dust in your home is made up of dead skin cells that have accumulated on surfaces.
14. Scar tissue looks different than normal skin tissue because it doesn’t have hair or sweat glands.
15. Your skin works to renew itself and create a new layer of skin every 28 days.
Want to keep your skin firm, youthful, and glowing? At Medical Cosmetics, our skin care experts offer a variety of treatments that can improve your skin’s look and texture. From Botox to Ultherapy to StarLux photo facials and more, we can help you find the perfect treatment. We also offer a variety of amazing skin care products that are designed to keep your skin beautiful and healthy.